Thursday, July 19, 2012

LibbyLu, Fast Forward 2012

l
 LibbyLu graduated from middle school a few weeks ago. There was a lot of talk among the girls about graduation dresses, dresses for graduation dance, and well you get the idea. She asked me if I would help her make her own dress for graduation. You can imagine how happy that made me. The last two years have made these kinds of activities difficult to pull off but here we were with a window. So, to pull it off we had to find a pattern, so a trip to JoAnns. I was pretty impressed with her choice of a classic dress. Now I didn't say we wouldn't shorten the skirt. I know the rules. Above she is holding the back of the dress together to humor me when I wanted to take a photo. Nice smile though.

The dress is finished but not the story so bare with me a little longer. LibbyLu has had a mind of her own for a very long time now so i made up my mind to be patient this time so we could both enjoy our project. However, I needn't have worried. She was willing to listen  to everything. So, my first suggestion was that she trace all the pattern parts she needed for her dress on vellum. You know how it is these days, a pattern is in multiple sizes and if you cut out your size it becomes somewhat impossible to easily cut out a different size. So she traced and cut out her size, As we went through the process, she stitched every seam except the one for the arm facing and she cut it perfectly so it fit without a single  problem. Towards the end I realized that I have not sewn for myself for years. So I turned to my daughter Kelly. She did the zipper. yay!  We are three generations on this project. It makes my heart sing. With all that said she looks proud and to her Mimi, adorable.  Another reminder, take time to sew with your children. You will not be sorry and they will take away memories to share with their own children. Thank you for coming by. I know I do not post often enough to hold your interest. Life gets in the way but believe me I miss you.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

Such a beautiful and talented teenager. You have every right to be as proud of her as you are. Just try to remember Kelly at 14 as I remember Kristi and you know this time will pass. Love you much dear sister.

PamKittyMorning said...

She's so so beautiful! Love the dress. I can't believe she's so grown up!

Heather said...

Beautiful dress, beautiful girl!

elizabeth said...

Wonderful!!! Our daughters and grandddaughters are so precious when they want to learn from us. A great job on the dress and I love the 3 generations working together.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing a beautiful story.

Janet

vintagefindings said...

My oh My ~ time has flown ~

miss you
~K

Purple Pam said...

What a beautiful dress on a beautiful young lady. Sewing with children is an incredibly awesome experience. Actually, I think doing any crafts with children is incredibly awesome. Glad you and LibbyLu had a good time together, especially with Kelly's help.