Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Because she requested this of me

A friend has requested that some of her friends finish a quilt she herself will be unable to complete. I was asked to make the label. This quilt is The Bird of Paradise" quilt, though some call it "The Civil War Bride" quilt. I reduced some of the elements in the design, culled the things I could use and this is the result. it is a fairly large label, but still manageable. The nest of eggs represents, at least for me, Jody's family including herself, standing by her family. The bird is another layer of care and the female figure a strong, caring and dear reminder to appreciate and tell those you love that you love them on a regular basis. Jody wants her quilt to be called "Bird of Paradise, Interrupted." This was perhaps the most difficult part of the label for me. I fight against her life being interrupted. Jody is one of the nicest people I have ever known with a sweetness to her that is unusual today. She is a remarkable quilter, and an even more remarkable friend. I love her and I know she loves me as well. I am so honored to have a place in finishing this wonderful quilt for her and her family.

7 comments:

Taryn said...

I am a bit speechless on this post. I do not know the details, but am guessing your friend finds she is not able to live life to the fullness of time. It is a beautiful label and I hope you will share the complete project. I pray her family will be comforted by the work of her friends' hands.

Margaret said...

Nadine, that is one of the most beautiful labels I have seen. I hope you can post the entire quilt sometime.
Margaret

Anonymous said...

Mom - The label is beautiful. Jody will be pleased and touched. This quilt is evidence of great friends, a gift, a very special gift. ~Kelly

PatchworkRose said...

The Label is just lovely. What a wonderful gesture and a great friend you are.
Take Care
Cheers
Lynne

Willowmere Karen said...

Your label and post both brought a tear to my eye. It is a truly lovely label that has obviously been made with love. My heart goes out to your friend and her family.

Love Willowmere Karen

Terry said...

A true reflection of your love for a friend.
I'm sure your prayers were in every stitch and I will add my own for this unknow quilter as I stitch today.
Huggs Terry

Esther Aliu said...

Truly beautiful label!
esther