Wednesday, October 7, 2009

More about scissors and thimble




I think this is a really pretty picture of my thimble and scissors and so decided to include another view. I find it interesting that a simple change in color for the background can change the look of the exact same items. It reminds me once again of the importance of color in quilting. However there are so many valid choices that a little experimentation is always in order. Sometimes I know exactly where my quilt is going and where it will end up. More often than not, however, the quilt comes together over time with those decisions made one at a time building on what has come before. Looking closely at the thimble I am sure you are beginning to get an idea of the wear beginning to show.

Moving up we have a closer look at the thimble. Can you guess how many holes there are and how much is simply wear? I guess I am a little weird because I really love what has happened to my thimble. It feels like a coming of age, not that I am not a little old for that. The final picture is very cool don't you think? Two holes and the rest are holes waiting to happen. I told you John is a good photographer didn't I? As I have gone over and over the pictures ( 304 of them ) I realized that I have a possibility of putting together a pretty nice art piece to hang in the sewing the sewing room! I'll share that too sometime whether you are interested or not. Look at this, two blogs posted in a week! maybe something good is happening.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Nadine
Remember me? I lived two houses down from Joyce in Livermore. Found your blog and have been looking in for the past month or so. Absolutely love your rosy Baltimore Album. Now I'm looking forward to seeing your sewing room as it unfolds in pictures.
I'm still busy appliquing and also designing patterns here in the CA desert. Hope to see you at Applique Academy in Williamsburg some time when we move easterly.
Hope you and yours are fine. Nancy E.

Karen Burns said...

I love your two last posts. The photos are, indeed, wonderful! Come on over John and photograph for me! Love the simplicity of the thimble showing the holes. I quilted a hole in my thimble way back when -- quilting my Baltimore quilt. But my thimble was very inexpensive brass.

See you soon!!!

Karen