Friday, February 18, 2011

Valentine's Day


First for Star. In answer to your question about the quilt I used as a back drop for my Houston purchases. If I understand what you are asking, the answer is that the applique shapes were achieved with needle turn applique. The quilt is vintage and the pattern is Lancaster Rose, though the name varies usually depending on the region of the quilter. If this does not answer your concerns, ask again.

The beautiful bouquet above was a Valentine from my husband. I carried a bouquet of white roses in on our wedding day. Now almost fifty years later, he still remembers. Always on our anniversary and often on other important days. I estimate having received more than one bouquet 100 flower gifts over the years. The candy is not a new thing either though the boxes have changed. Remember Whitman's samplers? Over the years many of those. We went on to See's candies, still on the list of very good chocolate. About fifteen years ago I had my first box of Godiva and have not looked back. He knows and always comes through. Of course I make sure he has his dark chocolate turtles as well. It's a balance that works.

So many of you have asked about Dale. I am so fortunate to have you in my life. Many times I have been at a loss because I simply don't know. However, things are better so decided to tell you what is going on. It is beginning to look like the peg will be gone when he returns home. He is eating three meals a day and some snacks. He gets weighed three times a week. yesterday was the first day to show a gain instead of a loss. He has gained a pound. A ways to go, to get to the 165 he weighed before the stroke that sent him down this long road, but for now I will take it. Two days of being awake most of the day, he went to to a country music social yesterday, even singing along! Make no mistake the road is still long, but things are brighter. Five minutes ago he accepted a cup of sherbet, the first evening snack since we arrived here.

4 comments:

PamKittyMorning said...

So happy to hear there is progress. I think of you all often. xo

Purple Pam said...

Nadine, I am so glad to read that Dale is improving. It is great to read he is close to going home. I know that lightens your heart greatly. I will continue to send positive vibes your way.

Anonymous said...

Nadine, this is my first visit to your blog. I begged the address from Kathy this morning at Folk Art Club. You do a beautiful job on your blog. I was very interested in reading your report of Dale's and your journey. I think of you often and wish you both lots of luck.

Mary Hawley said...

Okay, I am new to the leaving a comment. This time I should be me, rather than anonymous. :D