Sunday, February 6, 2011

Finished!


Finished, done, complete. You probably already know that I am a little fanatical about unfinished projects. I have no problem with going public. I know I am not alone in this. I have been teaching quilting, specifically applique for more than twenty years and as a teacher I found that keeping up with class loads required being really fast. Some of you are really fast. I am not so I would make tops or small samples of technique based projects, blocks, and more. It actually worked pretty well for teaching but not so much for that desire to have shelves of quilts, walls covered with cross stitch samplers.

I have shared with you all that my husband is very ill. I spend most days with him and decided a month or so ago that I needed something to do while at the same time keeping watch over him. Cross stitch seemed the best choice. I have to confess that I am not my usual self these days, hence the picking up of an unfinished project always meant for my daughter. Otherwise, I would have had second thoughts about 18 count aida cloth. What was I thinking? The light was not the best and my eyes are aging. Some days I picked out more stitches than I put in. How is that possible? I would find mistakes from the day before! Don't you hate that?

However, I did finish! Two days before I gifted it to the teacher I admire the most, my daughter. She is blessed with compassion, good judgement, a wonderful sense of humor for the young and a passion for learning. Happy Birthday Kelly. I love you more.

4 comments:

Sarah Jane said...

I can understand how much you need to keep yourself occupied whilst sitting with your husband and you have achieved a wonderful result for both you and your daughter. The cross stitch picture is just perfect. By the way, I do hope your husband is improving as the days go on.

Teresa Rawson said...

That is a beautiful project with a lovely sentiment! Sometimes a cross-stitch project is the perfect companion while sitting with a friend or loved one. COngrats on the finish!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Kathy said...

Kelly is blessed to have you for a mother as I am blessed to have you for a sister. My thoughts and love are always for you and Dale. Love you much.
Kathy

Margaret said...

Somehow I missed this post. I love this scene. I went through an extensive counted cross-stitch phase. Kelly is a lucky girl!
Margaret